Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Purpose of this Blog

It seems like much of human life is spent searching for answers to questions. Where would we be if people did not actively do this? Someone had to look at a bird and want to know how birds can accomplish that. This occurs everyday, people face a situation and want an explanation for it. What many people may not know is that a lot of questions may have been asked by others, who actively searched for answers. A few months ago, a homeless man was stabbed in New York City while he was actually trying to help someone out. Sadly, people ignored the man and he died. This made national news and left many people wondering why it happened. When I heard about this story, I was saddened by it, but I already knew the answers to the questions people were asking.

I feel that there is a large disconnect from the public and all the scientific research that is being done. Having read my share of research articles, it is easy to understand why this happens. As I continue to more involved in the field of Psychology, there are times when I can feel this disconnect happening. Recently, I have tried to explain to people how a certain academic test is considered “highly reliable” but I forget that most people are not exactly sure what it means when I say that. I have tried to explain aspects of psychology to my parents and they just give me a blank look. My hope is that with this blog I help create a way for people who don't have degrees in Psychology to learn, ask questions, and to help myself be able to explain why I am passionate about Psychology to anyone.

It is important to note that Psychology is a complicated field for several reasons. The first being that everything is subject to individual interpretation. People can see the same behavior and have very different explanations for why it happened. Naturally, this blog will deal with my interpretations of anything I talk about. Other people may disagree with my interpretation, but the purpose is to at least introduce concepts for people to think about. The second reason is that it is an always evolving field. Theories and explanations change all the time as new research gets done. Lastly, Psychology is a field dealing with probabilities. It helps to say this is what will most likely happen when someone is placed in a certain situation and environment, but it is never a guarantee that it will happen that way. There is always people who defy the odds and behave different than expected.

It is because of the variability in Psychology that I have so much passion for it. With all the different explanations and viewpoints, it invites discussion and debate. It invites people to keep thinking and using their brains. I love the flexibility because it allows the field to evolve and grow in a proper way. The more opinions and ideas that are researched, the more likely we are to find the real answer. This is why I strongly encourage people to share their opinions if they disagree, that is part of the spirit of Psychology.

I have hopes that this blog will be education for both whoever reads it and myself.

- Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment